(meteorobs) Any updates on this story

Mike Hankey mike.hankey at gmail.com
Wed Jan 6 17:56:38 EST 2010

Hello Observers,

This story was reported last July.

http://www.space.com/news/090703-military-fireballs-data.html

I'm wondering if anyone has heard any updates on it. I contacted the
author  Leonard David today and he said he's been trying to do a
follow up story for a while now, but has not been able to get a
straight-on-the-record answer yet (although he did say things seemed
to be moving in the right direction).

In the original article David states:

"As for a message to the scientific community, Brigadier General Rego
emphasized that there was no intent, and in fact, no change to the
data sharing policy. Now underway is a fresh look at ways to improve
the relationship and data flow to make it more valuable to scientists.
"

This suggests to me that there is someone, somewhere who can be
contacted to request such data.

Is there anyone on this list who has ever successful obtained fireball
data from the air force in the past (before the policy changes)?

Is there a front door or central office? What would the protocol be
for requesting such data? Who would you submit the requests to?

I've emailed, written and called the Air Force public affairs office
(and some other offices) several times over the last few months and
have gotten no where. (don't even get a sorry we can't help you
reply).

I'm considering filing a FOIA but I'm not even sure which agency to
submit it to, or if it would even work (probably not).

If there is anyone out there who has any suggestions for following up
on this, please contact me.

Thanks,

Mike