(meteorobs) Two questions for meteorobs members

Marco Langbroek marco.langbroek at wanadoo.nl
Wed Jul 28 12:20:20 EDT 2010

Op 28-7-2010 16:30, Skywayinc at aol.com schreef:

> QUESTION 2:
> Are the V(infinity) speeds  of meteors corrected for the Earth’s gravity?
> The speed would be, by the time we see the shooting  star have a downward
> component of 11km/s due to falling by  gravity.

This is the difference between Vinf and Vgeo. Vgeo is the velocity minus the
Earth Gravity induced vector (hence why it is always lower). Vinf is the
observed velocity (Vgeo + a gravity factor). In terms of orbit determination,
Vgeo (along with the geocentric radiant RA geo and Dec geo) is important as it
are those which determine the orbital vector.

Now, confusingly, in orbital mechanics outside meteor astronomy, Vinf is
actually the real velicity (that what is valled Vgeo in meteor astronomy) and
Vgeo is the real velocity plus a gravity factor. Yep: that is eaxctly the other
way around as we use it in meteor astronomyh!!! This disparate use of terms in
meteor astronomy versus other orbital astronomies (e.g. asteroids) is
unfortunate and very confusing.

- Marco

-----
Dr Marco (asteroid 183294) Langbroek