(meteorobs) Two questions for meteorobs members

Roberto G. md6648 at mclink.it
Wed Jul 28 13:13:08 EDT 2010

From: <Skywayinc at aol.com>

> QUESTION 1:
>
> When or who started naming meteors showers by the  constellation patronym?
> The meteors from  Perseus are ‘offspring’ or  ‘descendents’ (literally!)
> from there. So they are the Perseides, or Perseids in English. This was
> the
> practice at least thru the 20th century but with showers recognized by the
> mid  19th I should  think one of the early  astronomers back then started
> with these  names.

I think that only viewing a meteor storm somebody can to begin name
meteors from a costellation, and I think that sporadicly  this system
was utilised from many peoples, but the very begin should be with
the Leonids of 1833, I think that it should read in the works of  Olmsted
or peoples around this years 1830-1840 (John Locke, Quetelet?)

http://www.skyandtelescope.com/observing/objects/meteors/3304116.html?page=4&c=y

http://hbar.phys.msu.ru/gorm/atext/leonids.pdf

(a very good article on Leonids).
Best greetings.