(meteorobs) The Hayabusa 'meteor' - a lesson for us?

Chris Peterson clp at alumni.caltech.edu
Mon Jun 14 09:47:03 EDT 2010

I'd say there is no simple way to reliably distinguish space debris from a
natural meteoroid by visual appearance of the meteor alone. Speed is an
almost certain indicator, but speed can't be determined normally from a
single viewpoint (unless, for example, the event is very long and nearly
overhead).

Hayabusa, of course, was not your usual space debris, since it came from
outside Earth orbit and therefore had a much higher velocity than any
normal, orbiting debris would have on entry. Peekskill had a higher speed
than Hayabusa, but it survived longer and produced a longer ground path.

Chris

Chris L Peterson
Cloudbait Observatory
http://www.cloudbait.com