(meteorobs) blue fireball over Indiana

Mark Steven Williams K9GX at N4GN.COM
Tue Jun 15 05:14:51 EDT 2010

I observed a spectacular magnitude -3.0 blue fireball at approximately
0555-0556 UT (1:56 am EDT), June 15, 2010. I was driving southbound in Floyd
County, Indiana just west of Louisville. The meteor was blue, flared once
while in my view and was visible for approximately 2 seconds. The part that
was visible through my windshield subtended about 20 degrees. Seeing was
poor at the time but I estimate its path was in eastern Sagittarius. Because
of its sky blue color it was the most spectacular meteor I have observed in
some 40 years of sky watching.

For those who are familiar with the amateur radio maidenhead grid square
system I was located at approximately EM78ae.

Clear skies

Mark Steven Williams

Elizabeth, IN 47117

(812) 969-9900