(meteorobs) Good Radio Meteor rates today

Michael Boschat aa063 at chebucto.ns.ca
Mon Jun 21 06:22:57 EDT 2010

Quoting Richard Taibi:

> This is interesting data but I doubt that the June Bootid radiant
> could be responsible for the rates you recorded.

  they talk of a possible "spike peak" on June 23 so I decided to
monitor yesterday. For me 0h UT = 9:00pm ADT. Here is what I use and
my location:

Location: Halifax, Nova Scotia, Canada
Lat: N 44d 39'
Long: W 63d 36'
Hgt: 58 meters above sea level
Listening Frequency: 67.24 MHz
Receiver: Icom R-10
Antenna : resonant dipole
Antenna Direction: Horizontally polarized with lobes in E-W plane,
         elev 0 deg
Filter  : high-Q (Q at least 300) bandpass filter between antenna &
           receiver.
Listening Mode: CW
Recording method: listening by ear

> That radiant was not above the horizon at the times you report.

  The radiant is circumpolar for me. There were a few minor showers
going on so possibly a few meteors from them, I had a couple 2-4 sec
duration ones. They sound either like underdense or overdense types.

  Also,because of the US going to digital TV my rates have dropped about
90% so the rates probally would have been higher. All I can depend on are
our Canadian stations still on analog till at least 2011. then my listening
ends. I have no idea were or if I could detect digital frequencies. Someone
said they are 60 hz more so I do not know if there is still a Ch. 2-6
to use. Plus I need to tune the filter using a spectrum analyizer that
I cannot get anymore so the filter would be a hit and miss trying to get a
frequency. As for FM we have too many stations here and a filter would be
needed to stop the overlap of them on my radio.

  So for now,I'll just listen and record what I can being the only one
here in Nova Scotia with a setup.

Clear skies