(meteorobs) Possible June Lyrid fireball

Chris Peterson clp at alumni.caltech.edu
Fri Jun 25 15:21:16 EDT 2010

Thanks for the suggestion. However, the event I recorded was only 4° from
the JLY radiant, and 21° from the XDR radiant. Since my positional error
range is on the order of 5°, a XDR seems unlikely despite the higher
velocity.

I am suspicious of the reported velocities for both the JLY and XDR showers,
given that past observations have been visual and rare. Of course, the
accuracy of the radiants is similarly suspect.

The meteor I recorded may have simply been a sporadic coincidentally aligned
with the reported JLY radiant. I would say that the nature of its
disintegration was more generally suggestive of something cometary (porous
and fragile) than of the more rocky material I normally associate with
sporadic fireballs.

Chris

Chris L Peterson
Cloudbait Observatory