(meteorobs) Eta Aquarids - May 6 brief summary

Pierre Martin pmartin at teksavvy.com
Thu May 6 12:39:49 EDT 2010

Was out for about an hour this morning, and saw a small handful of Eta
Aquarids, towards dawn.  I never see much of this shower with the low
radiant from 45 degrees latitude, and in some years I've seen nothing
at all.  This morning started slow, but seemed to indicate reasonably
active rates as dawn started, with a few bright meteors (best was a
gorgeous mag -3, three sec trained, tracing a long path, climbing up
in the east, followed by a few +1's, also trained).  Skies started
poor with lots of residual clouds and humidity, but then improved to
100% clear (mag 6.2-6.3 or so skies).  Low cloud bank in the east was
unexpectedly helpful in blocking moonlight :)

Not sure if I can go out tonight, but conditions look good.

Will post a more complete report soon,

Pierre Martin
Ottawa, Ontario