(meteorobs) ETA seen from southern Maryland USA 6 May UT

Richard Taibi rjtaibi at hotmail.com
Thu May 6 20:42:29 EDT 2010

Last Quarter moonlight and horizon obstructions affected the observation this morning at Bel Alton, Maryland.  The sky was quite transparent, cloudless, and the temperature was mild, with a pleasant breeze blowing from the South.  The Milky Way was dimly visible from Sagittarius to Cassiopeia despite the moon's glare. I saw no meteors at all 747-837 UT, facing ENE under a +4.8 limiting magnitude sky.  Then I turned to face SSW from 838-0900 and was able to see one +2 magnitude ETA at 840 UT.  Nautical twilight brightened the sky too much at 0900 UT and I ceased observing.  Polar orbiting satellites were more numerous than meteors this morning.  No sporadic meteors were seen either.

I hope others saw more meteors during their watches.

Best wishes,

Rich