(meteorobs) Eta Aquariids a non-starter in Alberta

Bruce McCurdy bmccurdy at telusplanet.net
Fri May 7 12:21:48 EDT 2010

For at least the third time this decade we in central Alberta have had snow
dumping a considerable damper on Cinco de Mayo. To a meteor observer like me
the date is significant because its the putative peak of the eta Aquariid
meteor shower, which despite its anti-northerner bias remains one of my
favourite annual pursuits. Alas, not this year; even as the snow melts a
couple days later the skies remain resolutely cloudy.

I did make it as far as my front yard two weeks ago for a couple hours of
Lyrid observing the morning of the peak. That's Lyrid singular, as I saw
just the one, fortunately a very nice one of mag -2 or -3. Limiting
magnitude was around +4.2 so I hardly expected better, but was too tired to
commit a two-hour round trip in addition to actual observing time. I also
got a few sporadics and some interesting satellite sightings, including a
fine pass of an old favourite, Lacrosse 5, a couple bright Iridium flares,
and a spectacular pass of the ISS under extremely favourable circumstances
w.r.t. sun/phase angle. Through 15x70 binos I was convinced I was seeing a
profile that appeared to consist of about 5 separate reflecting surfaces
nested together.

Do any of the meteor observers on this list do any sort of formal satellite
observing? It seems to me that the two pursuits are relatively compatible.

Bruce
*****