(meteorobs) Daytime telescopic video meteor work possibility?

Ed Majden epmajden at shaw.ca
Sat May 29 11:53:04 EDT 2010

Thomas:
	I speculated on trying to record daytime meteors using a very narrow
band Na 1 filter thinking it would make the background sky dark
except for the Na 1 line where meteors have strong emissions!  The Na
1 line is a Solar absorption line rather than emission line so it
should not present a problem.  Good idea, except it does not work!
The filter has too much leakage at other wavelengths so the sky is
still to bright.  I was hoping it would work like a Ha-solar filter
used to view prominences.  I have a Lumicom Solar prominence filter
which uses a tuneable filter at the eyepiece end and a pre-filter
used on the objective. If you look through either filter alone you
can see through them, but when combined it isolates the Ha-line to a
width of ~1-1/2 A.  Perhaps someone can figure out how to do the same
with a Na 1 filter.  I speculate that it will probably not work as
Na-1 meteor emissions are rather faint and the Solar Ha emissions are
still very bright so you can see the prominences.  You need a filter
that is opaque across the entire spectrum but clear for the Na 1
meteor emission line.  Spec sheets indicate that narrow band filters
will do this but they won't.  They still have leakage at other
wavelengths darn it!

Ed Majden - Meteor Spectroscopy
Courtenay, B.C. Canada.