(meteorobs) Daytime telescopic video meteor work possibility?

Thomas Ashcraft ashcraft at heliotown.com
Sun May 30 11:07:13 EDT 2010

Hi Ed, Chris, all,

Thank you for your input.

What I am thinking about is the possibility of daytime telescopic
observing without any special filtering and using the basic camera
settings to attain contrast.  I was surprised to be able to image
Jupiter in a bright sky amidst a dark background merely by adjusting the
DMK 41 camera gamma/exposure settings.  Hence, I was thinking that there
might be a possibility of doing some sort of daylight Arietid telescopic
work, aiming directly towards the radiant.

For what it is worth, I made a short video clip of Jupiter in daylight
in order to show the sky background. I think there is enough contrast
enhancement for meteors to show up with an unfiltered camera. I would
not attempt to do full sky work, rather perhaps just Arietid or zeta
Perseid radiant monitoring to see if a few meteors might be captured.

.mp4  1.7 MB  :  http://www.heliotown.com/Jupe_Daylight_Ashcraft.mp4

Thomas