(meteorobs) meteorobs Digest, Vol 14, Issue 1

Esko Lyytinen esko.lyytinen at jippii.fi
Wed Nov 3 06:43:43 EDT 2010

Hi,

In my opinion this quite clearly was a normal natural meteor-fireball,
in spite of the original orbit near that of the Earth.
In any case, this was not a re-entering Earth-satellite.

My statistical model (not published, data from published old Canada
fireball-camera-network) would give (from the slope (about 25 degrees)
and end height and Vinf velocity) an estimation to the end mass (of
assumed normal chondite density meteorite), to be around one or two kg:s.
The dark flight from the end would then be about 25 kilometers
(projection on the ground), so this quite probably have reached the hard
ground (not to water).
In addition to other uncertainties, the winds in the free fall may
affect the location up to some kilometers.)

One recent expected meteorite fall that I studied, had the original
orbit even more close to that of the Earth. But Vgeo velocities around
or less than the derived 6 km/s (corresponding Vinf less than 13 km/s)
are not common, in my experience. Vinf around or above 13.5 km/s are
getting somewhat more common.

Esko