(meteorobs) Hartley-id analysis

Chris Peterson clp at alumni.caltech.edu
Wed Nov 3 14:12:59 EDT 2010

I reviewed my allsky video data for 28-Oct to 3-Nov and find no evidence of
any activity near the suggested radiant. The total analyzed population was
158 meteors. I assumed a 10° radiant diameter centered on 298°, +30°, which
resulted in 4 otherwise sporadic meteors being identified as HAR. As a
control I shifted the radiant center 20° in all directions, in 10°
increments. The re-identified sporadics always numbered 3-6.

I also compared the intersections of every meteor to every other, and no
meteor groupings of three or more shared a common radiant within 10° of the
assumed HAR radiant.

Finally, none of the meteors with possible radiants near 298°, +30° were
slower than 28 km/s (estimated single station velocities using the assumed
radiant), and the calculated velocities show a wide spread.

My conclusion is that there was no detectable HAR activity at all in the
last week when considering meteors of mag 2 or brighter.

Chris

Chris L Peterson
Cloudbait Observatory
http://www.cloudbait.com