(meteorobs) Mystery Meteors

lunro.imo.usa at cox.net lunro.imo.usa at cox.net
Tue Nov 9 16:06:39 EST 2010

Kenneth,

Thanks for reminding me that our shower page is a bit behind. It is now updated and includes the Andromedids(http://www.amsmeteors.org/showers.html) . The Andromedids were included in my weekly meteor activity outlook posted here last Thursday. I believe the positions listed on Meteor Showers Online is a bit outdated. Using the latest results from video data, last night the center of the Andromedid radiant would have been located at 22.2 +28.9 This position lies in northeastern Pisces, five degrees west of the third magnitude star Alpha Trianguli. The radaint drift is +0.2 in RA and +0.86 in DEC. The radiant is large so the activity you witnessed may still be possible Andromedids. Four shower members in an hours time is unlikely but certainly not an impossibility. My intensified video camera ran for six hours last night and only recorded two possible members from this shower.

Clear Skies!

Robert Lunsford