(meteorobs) Leonids on 14 Nov (UT) from southern Maryland

Richard Taibi rjtaibi at hotmail.com
Mon Nov 15 20:38:32 EST 2010

This session was conducted just in advance of a cold front's arrival at the Mid-Atlantic region of the US east coast.  Clouds are predicted to obscure the sky for the Leonid peak unfortunately.  As could be expected, this watch had more meteorological features (clouds) than meteoric features recorded during it.  The sky was marginal to poor in quality but at least some indications of Leonid activity emerged; during the two hour watch I saw four Leonids.  A zero magnitude LEO was the brightest shower member seen.  My report to IMO had four periods but for brevity here, I have collapsed them into two.

14 November 2010; 7:42 to 9:50 UT/ 2:42 to 4:50 a.m. Eastern Standard Time.
Bel Alton, Maryland, USA: 76d 59m W longitude and 38d 28m N latitude, elevation ~ 10 meters.

Leonids and sporadics were observed during the watch.

7:42-8:44 UT; Lm= 5.1; Teff= 1.03; F= 1.06; and Field Center was 130d RA and +19d Dec.

LEO: none
SPO: three, +3 and +4 (2)

8:50- 9:50 UT; Lm= 4.85; Teff= 1.00, F= 1.00; Field Center was 150d RA and +19 Dec

LEO: four; 0, +1, and  +3 (2)
SPO: three; 0, +1, and +4

Best wishes to others for the maximum.

Rich