(meteorobs) Leonids from Oregon 2010 November 17

Wes Stone howard048 at centurytel.net
Thu Nov 18 01:17:00 EST 2010

The Clear Sky Chart predicted average to below average transparency and up
to 20% cloudiness, and it was more or less correct. I stuck it out for a
very slow session. There was quite a bit of haze, but there were also some
clearer spells. Unfortunately, the biggest clear spell coincided with a lull
in meteor activity, and the Leonids never really took off. I saw 9 Leonids,
3 North Taurids and 10 sporadics in 1.44 hours, and that was it. I had to
take a 16 minute break in the middle of the watch when some fog settled in.

There were a few interesting meteors, including a red magnitude 0 North
Taurid, a golden magnitud 0 sporadic, an earthgrazing +1 sporadic from a
radiant low in the south, and a -3 Leonid (the only Leonid I saw during a
lull that lasted half an hour).

Summary Report for the whole session (already submitted an interval report
to IMO)
Observer: Wesley Stone (STOWE)
Location: Chiloquin, OR (42d 35m N, 121d 52m W)
Method: Counting/Paper