(meteorobs) Draconids From North Carolina

richard hill dwarfnova at hotmail.com
Sat Oct 9 14:48:15 EDT 2010

Hi, All!

Exceptionally fine weather in the mountains of North Carolina all week long! I got out last two evenings but saw no Draconids. However, last night (Oct. 8/9) I saw semthing that in all my years of meteor watching, I've never seen before: a -1 sporadic moving very slowly (5 seconds?) that had two tails! They looked like a pair of jet contrails! I have used this week to get up early and do some predawn meteor watching. I'm seeing about one Taurid every 2-3 hours. They are easy to identify because of their defintely slow speed and yellowish color (and the fact they come from the general direction of Taurus!). Will send full report when the weather fails (or the moon comes around).

Rick