(meteorobs) Natural meteor or something else?

Meteorites USA eric at meteoritesusa.com
Tue Oct 12 12:13:52 EDT 2010

Hi Thomas, So you think this might be space debris? That's possible, but
I don't think so. Every "re-entry" of some sort of satellite, rocket,
probe, or even the space shuttle disaster, there was massive amounts of
fragmentation from almost the very beginning of the video. Thousands of
pieces breaking off from the main mass, and the fragmentation usually
starts early on, high in the atmosphere.

Your video clearly shows no fragmentation of the body until the last few
seconds of the flight before the retardation point. It broke into only 3
"visible" pieces and blinked out. In other words, whatever it was, it
was solid enough to have survived ~20 seconds of atmospheric entry
almost intact. Granted it was a slow mover, and at a shallow angle, so
the preasures weren't as great as say one traveling at 45 degrees and
25,000+ MPH. However I still think this might be a natural meteor and
not space debris. Perhaps an iron meteoroid?

Eric

It clearly shows some fragmentation. It breaks into three pieces.