(meteorobs) Camera sky coverage math question

Chris Peterson clp at alumni.caltech.edu
Mon Apr 4 11:03:21 EDT 2011

Hi Tom-

Are you just asking for the ratio of the Earth's surface area to your
observation area? That would be 5e8 km^2 / 1e6 km^2, meaning your camera
covers about 0.2% of the total sky.

Of course, this is really not the most accurate way of looking at things,
since you only record a very small percentage of the total meteors at the
edges of your field. If you are interested in doing any serious statistical
analysis, you'll want to apply some sort of weighting function to
compensate.

Chris

Chris L Peterson
Cloudbait Observatory