(meteorobs) Were can I get SCAN frequencies?

James Beauchamp falcon99 at sbcglobal.net
Sat Apr 16 11:50:45 EDT 2011

Hi Mike,

Doing a bit of research, it doesn't look like SCAN is a good scatter resource.  According to one of their final reports (http://mazinger.sisib.uchile.cl/repositorio/lb/ciencias_agronomicas/u2008411138tn_ss_7_a.pdf) the master station only polls the individual station periodically, so it's not a constant RF source.

With the demise of analog TV, the only decent one for me has been the AF Space radar  (216.98 Mhz). Although it has amazing ERP, it is limited to a very tight beam, so you don't get full sky coverage.  I've seen scatters on the main Kickapoo station and some of the other smaller emitters.  Since I'm about 90 nm NE of the high power station, it's worked very well.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Air_Force_Space_Surveillance_System

Unfortunately, this system is on the list for a major upgrade in the next few years.  The CW method looks to be replaced with X-band pulsed radar.  The AF has issued several RFP's for X-band upgrades.

Those of us in the Southern US can still use Mexican analog TV stations.

I also see entries that NOAA has a 2 Mhz band reserved for meteor research (42-44 Mhz).  Maybe there are a few transmitters we could listen to.  Will do some digging.

James