(meteorobs) Were can I get SCAN frequencies?

Thomas Ashcraft ashcraft at heliotown.com
Sat Apr 16 12:23:54 EDT 2011

On 4/16/11 6:00 AM, Michael Boschat wrote:
> Hi:
>
>   There are sites in the US using meteor scatter to send data, the program
> is called SCAN - Soil Climate Analysis Network and one frequency was given
> to me at 44.20 MHz but for the life of met I cannot hear the meteors on
> it.
> I made a 6m antenna dipole and that is not working. Here the Canadian TV
> will be going digital sometime and I'll loose that. FM in Halifax is
> very hard to try because of too many stations.
>
>   My hope was this system but so far I cannot find other frequencies to
> test... I montiored that frequency 6 days and went all night on one but heard
> nothing. The other system SNOTEL is too far in the US mid-west to detect.
>
>   Does anyone have comments ect that I could try to work on?

Michael,

In the past, they operated at :
SNOTEL:
40.530 MHz  master station transmit
41.530 MHz
SCAN:
44.20 MHz  master station transmit
45.90 MHz

At some point they were all going to switch to:
40.67 MHz  master station transmit
41.61 MHz -
____________________________________

So maybe try SCAN at:
41.61 MHz CW.
(Also maybe 45.90 MHz CW if they are still operating there.  Not sure
though.  I cannot get SCAN from here in the southwest US.  Too far away.)

Here are samples of the sound you should be listening for. It is a very
different sound compared to tv transmitter pings.
Typical meteors:     http://www.heliotown.com/SNOTEL_Meteors2_Ashcraft.mp3
Fireball:    http://www.heliotown.com/SNOTEL_fireball_Ashcraft.mp3

Please report if you pick up anything.  Good luck

Thomas Ashcraft in New Mexico