(meteorobs) Light and sound event over North Eastern Pennsylvania 2011/04/16 17:30-18:00

Pat pat_branch at yahoo.com
Thu Apr 21 07:18:53 EDT 2011

Not likely a meteor. If you had a rain storm I assume there was good cloud coverage. A meteor flare would be well above the clouds so the light would not likely be bright enough to see thru closed eyes. Also hearing the rumbling only 4-5 seconds later means the event was only about a mile away from you. Meteors have slowed down below the speed of sound a lot higher than 5-6000 feet. The shortest time you should hear rumbling after a meteor is closer to a minute. I'm guessing lightning...which you might be able to look up the lighting strikes in your area for that time period.