(meteorobs) Was it a possible early Lyrid?

Richard Taibi rjtaibi at hotmail.com
Thu Apr 21 19:13:08 EDT 2011

Thomas,

Wouldn't it be great if all meteors appeared with a label as to its radiant?
In favor of a Lyrid, the IMO 'Quick Look' site has LYR ZHRs of 6+/-1 on 15 April and 4+/- on 18 April, so some activity was seen by other observers.  However, after looking at your video and the Heavens Above map, my take on your fireball is that it was not a Lyrid.  Its path seems to appear just west of Vega and the backward projected path seems to pass through the 'body' of Hercules and from the direction of Arcturus: this seems too far west of the LYR radiant.  What do others think?

Rich