(meteorobs) Somewhat meager pre-max Lyrid observations from north Florida

Paul Jones jonesp0854 at gmail.com
Fri Apr 22 10:47:03 EDT 2011

Hello list,
     Even though I felt a bit "sandwiched" last night between a rather low
radiant altitude and an inopportune moonrise, I gave it a one hour session
between 2300 and 0000 local time last night (April 21/22) from my side yard,
5 miles SW of St. Augustine, FL.  Managed to see two faint Lyrids and five
sporadics in about 5.8 LM skies during the hour.  I had to go to work today,
so I didn't try to push it by going on after moonrise.  It has been my
experience in past years that most Lyrids are rather faint and would have
had a heck of a time showing through the waxing gibbous moon.
    With the low rates, I was a bit affected by observer fatigue, as there
were no bursts or spurts to rally over.  Still, even seeing seven
meteors wasn't too shabby, I thought.  More specific data will follow, this
is just a quick impression.  Both Lyrids were, of course, faint (+3 and +4)
and so were the sporadics.
    Conditions look good locally for more observations tonight, so I will
save "official" data reporting until the weekend.  With a moonrise about one
hour later tonight, the radiant has a chance to climb a bit higher in a dark
sky, so I'm hoping that the rates will be improved.  If they are hopping
enough to keep me sharp, I may go on after moonrise.  I'm also watching
about five other potential radiants as well.  I sure wish the moon was new!

More later, Paul in St. Augustine