(meteorobs) 22 April (UT) Observation from southern Maryland

Richard Taibi rjtaibi at hotmail.com
Sun Apr 24 09:27:58 EDT 2011

I began my observation session, at Bel Alton, before moonrise on 22 April (UT) but  I continued to watch for Lyrids after moonrise at 4:13 UT.  I saw three faint (+3, +4, and +5 magnitude) sporadic meteors by 4:25 UT.  Unfortunately, I didn't see another one after that time.  Even though the LYR radiant had attained 50 degrees elevation when I quit at 6:00 UT, I saw no Lyrids during the entire 2 hour and 40 minute session.  In my field center, at the end of the 'Big Dipper's handle, the limiting magnitude was +5 before and after moonrise.  There were no clouds during the session which was from 3:20 to 6:00 UT.

Best wishes,
Rich