(meteorobs) 2011 Lyrid observations from north Florida

Paul Jones jonesp0854 at gmail.com
Mon Apr 25 12:50:37 EDT 2011

Greetings again list,
      Here is the more formal report of my two recent Lyrid sessions:

First session:
Date:  April 21/22, 2011  3:00 - 4:00 UT (11:00 - 12:00 a.m. EDT)
5 miles SW of St. Augustine, Florida, USA ; 29.9 N lat, 81.33 W long  10
meters elevation
Temperature: 67 degrees Farenheit

3:00 - 4:00 UT; Teff=1.00, Lm=5.8  20% horizon obstruction (trees)
LYR - 2
SPO - 5
Total - 7 meteors

Mags:
LYR - +3 (1), +4 (1)
SPO - +2 (1), +3 (2), +4 (2)

Second session:
Date:  April 22/23, 2011  3:00 - 4:00 UT (11:00 - 12:00 a.m. EDT)
5 miles SW of St. Augustine, Florida, USA ; 29.9 N lat, 81.33 W long  10
meters elevation
Temperature: 65 degrees Farenheit

3:00 - 4:00 UT, Teff=1.00, Lm= 6.0  20% horizon obstruction (trees)
LYR - 4
SLE - 1
ANT - 1
SPO - 6
Total - 12 meteors

4:00 - 4:30 UT, Teff= .5, Lm= 6.0  20% horizon obstruction (trees)
LYR - 1
SPO - 3

Mags:

LYR - +3 (2), +4 (3)
SLE - +3 (1)
ANT - +4 (1)
SPO - +2 (1), +3 (4), +4 (3), +5 (1)

As I mentioned, the first thirty minutes of session two were great (3 LYR, 1
SLE and 3 SPO), after that, activity died away to next to nothing, both
Lyrids and non-Lyrids!  One of the three sporadics that first half hour was
a lovely, +2 orange colored earthgrazer that covered forty or more degrees
low in the western sky.  It was travelling almost due north to due south.
Nice!   Next up:  looking forward to the eta Aquariids in a moon-free,
pre-dawn sky!

Clear skies to all, Paul in St. Augustine