(meteorobs) 2011 pre-maximum PER observation from north Florida

Paul Jones jonesp0854 at gmail.com
Mon Aug 8 09:45:17 EDT 2011

Hello again all,
     I managed a replay of yesterday's pre-dawn PER meteor watch this
morning from my driveway here in St. Augustine.  I am really being spolied
at the ease of simply getting out of bed, walking just outside the house and
starting a session!  The results were also very similar, as the PERs stayed
at about the same activity level almost exactly.  This morninig's pleasant
surprise, however, was a nice little burst of post-maximum SDA activity.

    Here is today's results:

 Date:  Aug 07/08, 2011
Location:  5 miles SW of St. Augustine, Florida  Long 81  33 W, Lat 29 09 N
8:15 - 9:15 UT (0415 - 0515 EDT)  Teff - 1.0, F- 1.00, Lm - 6.2  20% horizon
obstruction (trees), facing south CFOV:  RA 350  Dec +10  Counting/paper
method

PER - 12
SDA - 7
ERI - 2
SPO - 10

Total meteors:   31

and... 7 artificial satellites

Magnitudes:

PER:  0 (1), +2 (2), +3 (5), +4 (2), +5 (2)
SDA : +1 (1) +2 (1), +3 (2), +4 (2), +5 (1)
ERI:   +3 (1), +4 (1)
SPO:  +1 (2), +2 (2), +3 (4), +4 (4), +5 (1)

With the exception of the zero magnitude PER that left a nice train, the
majority of today's PERs were fainter than yesterday's.  For awhile (and
much to my surprise), the SDAs were keeping up with the PER rate for most of
the hour, but the PERs finally pulled away from them toward the end.
I had two more ERIs also, but they were fainter and shorter than yesterday's
pair.  It was such a beautiful morning that I had to literally tear myself
away from observing to get ready to go to work.  I mean, who wants to work
during PERSEID week?  I'll be at it again tomorrow morning, if the skies are
clear.

Good luck and clear skies to all, Paul