(meteorobs) Obs: 09/10 August 2011

pmartsching at mchsi.com pmartsching at mchsi.com
Wed Aug 10 13:52:27 EDT 2011

When I got up and looked out the window the Moon was in clear sky.  By the time I got out to my usual observing site a high layer of haze or fog had moved over Ames in the Southwest.  The first hour wasn't too bad with the Moon up behind haze/fog, but conditions were worse the second half hour and I considered going home.  The third half hour was better than usual because the layer of haze/fog capped the sky glow over Ames.  During the last half hour haze gradually developed over the entire sky.  Even so the last half hour produced more meteors than the previous half hour.

Adams Observatory, McFarland Park 4 miles NE of Ames, Story Co, Iowa, USA.

Showers looked for:
Kappa Cygnids: none seen
Eridanids: none seen
Perseids
No ANT's, CAP's or SDA's were seen.

10 August 2011 UT (09/10 August CDST)
07:30-08:30 UT; 56 deg F; dew point 54 deg F; wind West 3 mph; clear first half hour; haze and thin patches of cloud moving thru second hour; average LM 5.0 (first half hour 5.3; second half hour 4.7); Moon behind layer of haze/fog in SW; facing ENE 50 degrees; total teff 1.0 hour.
Perseids: nine: +1; +2(3); +3(4); +4
Sporadics: four: 0; 3(2); +4
Total meteors: thirteen

08:30-09:30 UT; 55 deg F; dew pt 54 deg F; wind West 3 mph; clear first half hour; haze gradually developing during second half hour; average LM 5.5 (first half hour 6.0; last half hour 5.0); facing ENE 50 deg; total teff 1.0 hour.
Perseids: twelve: -1; 0; +1(4); +2(2); +3(2); +4(2)
Sporacids: six: 0; +1; +3(4)
Total meteors: eighteen