(meteorobs) Observation August 8/9 2011

Pierre Martin pmartin at teksavvy.com
Thu Aug 11 01:23:38 EDT 2011

Hi all,

I was out on Tuesday morning for a brief one hour session.  Just as I
arrived at the Pendleton airport, I casually saw a nice +1 or so
bluish Alpha Capricornid descend slowly into Aquarius.  Overall, the
sky was below average transparency and cirrus clouds could be seen
slowly encroaching on the horizon.

I caught 27 meteors in all, including 13 Perseids (a number of which
were fairly bright).  At 2:20am EDT, I saw a nice yellow Kappa Cygnid
of average brightness that flared in and out a few times.

Clear skies,

Pierre Martin
Ottawa, Ontario

DATE: August 8/9 2011
BEGIN: 05:28 UT (01:28 EDT) END: 06:28 UT (02:28 EDT)
OBSERVER: Pierre Martin (MARPI)
LOCATION: Long: -75.092 West; Lat: 45.568 North
Observing site: Pendleton Airport, Ontario, CANADA
RECORDING METHOD: talking clock/tape recorder, plotting

OBSERVED SHOWERS:_______________________________radiant position
KCG (Kappa Cygnids)_____________________________18:47 +46
PER (Perseids)__________________________________02:38 +56
CAP (Alpha Capricornids)________________________20:40 -08
ANT (Antihelions)_______________________________21:48 -12
SDA (South Delta Aquarids)______________________23:09 -14
PAU (Pisces Austrinids)_________________________23:18 -27
AUP (August Piscids - IMO video database)_______00:40 +19
ERI (Eridanids - IMO video database)____________02:53 -12SPO (sporadics)

OBSERVING PERIODS: 0 = none seen; / = shower not observed

PERIOD(UT)___FIELD_____Teff___LM____SPO_PER_KCG_CAP_ANT_SDA_PAU_AUP_ERI

05:28-06:28__359
+19___1.00___6.25___9__13___1___0___3___1___0___0___0  =  27

Notes: The first column (Period UT) refers to observing periods, in
Universal Time. The second column (Field) is the area in in the sky
where I centered my field of view. The third column (TEFF) Teff is
simply the total time during the observing session spent actually
watching the sky. Breaks and/or dead time are not included in the
reported Teff. It is reported in decimal format such that a 60 minute
observing session would be reported as Teff = 1.00. The column (LM) is
the average naked eye limiting magnitude seen.  All following columns
indicate the number of meteors for each shower observed.  For more
info, see: http://www.namnmeteors.org/guidechap2.html
------------------------

MAGNITUDE DISTRIBUTIONS:

SHOWER
______0__+1__+2__+3__+4__+5______AVE

PER___3___3___2___3___2___0_____+1.84
SPO___0___0___3___2___3___1_____+3.22
ANT___0___1___0___0___1___1_____+3.33
KCG___0___0___1___0___0___0_____+2.00
SDA___0___0___0___0___1___0_____+4.00

Note: Magnitude -8 is comparable to a quarter moon, magnitude -4 with
the planet Venus, magnitude -1 with the brightest star Sirius,
magnitude +2 to +3 with most average naked eye stars and magnitude +6
to +7 are the faintest stars the naked eye can see under typical dark
conditions. A meteor of at least magnitude -3 is considered a fireball
(IMO definition). The above table contains the magnitudes from all
observed meteors, and the average (last column) for showers.

SKY OBSCURED (FOV) (UT):  none

Dead time: None

Breaks (UT): None