(meteorobs) PER Radio Scatter over Oklahoma = disappointing so far

Paul Jones jonesp0854 at gmail.com
Fri Aug 12 08:33:03 EDT 2011

I certainly concur with you visually, James.   I got up at 4:45 EDT this
morning, the moon was still up in the west and the skies awash with
moonlight, but otherwise pretty clear.  So I hung in until skies darkened
about 5:15 EDT and watched for thirty minutes and saw only six PERs and five
non-PERs until 5:45 EDT!  The PERs were barely above the sporadic rate
visually!!
Considering that this morning was the last morning before the maximum, I'm
totally underwhelmed so far by what I've seen of the 2011 PERs.  Perhaps the
PER peak is more short-lived now than it used to be in the old days and you
have to be in just the right spot to see the high ZHRs,  Sort of like the
QUADs are.  I don't know and I'll hold final judgement until I can get a
solid look at them in a dark moon year, but it sure does have me wondering!

Clear skies, Paul in north Florida