(meteorobs) Perseids from SoCal Aug 12

Robert Lunsford lunro.imo.usa at cox.net
Fri Aug 12 14:39:14 EDT 2011

I was out from 1:30 to 5:00 am PDT this morning to view the Perseids. The coast was socked in due to low clouds so I drove east to
view from the mountains. Unfortunately debris clouds from Mexican thunderstorms were covering a large portion of the sky and
continued streaming from the southeast throughout the morning. Due to the bright moon and clouds, scientifically useful observations
could not be undertaken. Approximately 30 meteors were seen with a great majority of them being Perseids. Magnitudes ranged from +3
to -2. Limiting magnitudes were good despite the bright moon , averaging +5.5. The Milky Way could be seen in the
Cassiopeia-Perseus-Auriga area, especially when the moon was obscured by clouds. M31 was also visible when not obscured by clouds.
There was also a spectacular moonset that occurred just before it became too bright to keep on observing. It was a worthwhile trip
but I hope conditions are a bit more favorable tonight.

Clear Skies!

Robert Lunsford