(meteorobs) non pro observations

KDitmer at aol.com KDitmer at aol.com
Sat Aug 13 10:47:28 EDT 2011

Hello.
We were in West Orange, NJ from 1:38-2:28 Fri. night.  just off I -280  on
Prospect Ave.
1. faint 3 sec moving E on the horizon
2. very bright 1 sec straight down from under Cassiopeia
3. very bright 2 sec straight down from under Cass
4. maybe a "bolide" but not bright, kind of fuzzy, thicker than the  others
with a tail and head like a comet moving in a straight  line E, slow and
beautiful  for 8 sec.  from NW of  perseusWOW!!!!!    Checked time on
cellphone @ 2:00am
5 1 sec med bright and downward just on the horizon under  Cass
6 2 sec bright perseid moving W
7 fainter Perseid 3 sec
8 returned to house 2:45 saw one beautiful 3 sec pretty bright Perseid
straight diagonal down from E to W

Sorry I haven't learned the mag # but if anyone can decipher my cavegirl
descriptions I am hoping they may be of some use. Assuming the ones going W
to E were from a different shower?   Thought I saw Cygnus NW of  Perseus in
the sky last nite but didn't see it there on the Planisphere. It  shows
Auriga but I did not see the entire "pentagon."  Now that  I've seen this many 8
in 1 hour I'll do my homework before the Leonids.
Pretty sure it's a cloud out tonite.
Thanks,
KDitmer