(meteorobs) Oklahoma City = all night storms but radar looked great!

James Beauchamp falcon99 at sbcglobal.net
Sat Aug 13 11:50:39 EDT 2011

All,
Marked increase in overdense events starting local midnight.  Almost all meteor scatter events retained significant spectral spread.  Most had persistence of several seconds with all the overdense features (Head tail + multi-frequency spectrums).
Rate increased to about one per minute (max) between 10:00 Z and 15:00 Z here in Central Time Zone (5:00 AM to 10:00 AM).  Knowing that's just the main in-beam (or close to the main beam) scatters, this would have been an excellent shower for Hawaiian observers (if the darned moon wasn't full!)
The OKC Sentinel camera would have caught almost every one of them in dark skies, but unfortunately we had thunderstorms over us almost all night, so nothing was caught optically - except this close call with another part of mother universe...
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=69UsLrZCh_k
Good job to Dr. Bill Cooke and his team on the meteor chat event.  They had a LOT of people participating, and it appeared the questions were coming faster than they could respond.  I enjoyed lurking while running the radar capture.
James Beauchamp