(meteorobs) Cosmic rays on all-sky cams?

James Beauchamp falcon99 at sbcglobal.net
Tue Aug 23 11:52:33 EDT 2011

Tom,

I commonly see two artifacts on my camera - pixels that bloom, and (every now and then) a series of pixels that could be from a charged particle penetrating a series of CCD's.  They are rare, but I do see them every now and then.

I wonder if any of the experts on the list could expound a bit on those.  I'm thinking they could be from a cosmic ray hitting something on or near the CCD, and this might be a high energy beta or some other particle with a lot of energy leaving a series of triggered CCD's - something similar to what you see on the SOHO.

They could be from natural sources such as Radon or Potassium as well?