(meteorobs) Cosmic rays on all-sky cams?

Chris Peterson clp at alumni.caltech.edu
Tue Aug 23 16:29:24 EDT 2011

Tom-

I've never seen anything on any of my allsky cameras that I was certain
was a cosmic ray strike. (BTW, cosmic rays themselves don't normally hit
CCDs; what happens is that a cosmic ray either strikes a molecule in the
atmosphere, or one in your camera or telescope structure, which produces
a secondary spray of particles. These are what normally produce cosmic
ray artifacts on CCD sensors.) I do see cosmic ray artifacts all the
time on my regular long-exposure CCD images, and I see the gradual pixel
degradation that Sony HAD sensors experience over time as the result of
cosmic rays. So I know they are hitting. The most common unexplained
phenomenon I record is a single saturated pixel. That is consistent with
a head-on particle strike, but I doubt that's the cause, since I've
never recorded the sort of ragged multiple pixel artifact that is more
typical of cosmic ray hits.

My assumption as to the reason I never see any cosmic rays is that the
detection scheme used by Metrec (which runs on all my cameras) is simply
not sensitive to the sort of single frame "flash" that a cosmic ray will
produce.

Chris

Chris L Peterson
Cloudbait Observatory