(meteorobs) The Moonlit Perseids

BRUCE MCCURDY bmccurdy at shaw.ca
Tue Aug 23 16:33:51 EDT 2011

That's OK, Joe, it might be a couple weeks out of date but it's still over the top. Speaking of over the top, does anybody know how the tweetfest went? I'm a Twitter guy myself, but it's practically in an anti-Universe to meteor observing. I laughed - hard, but ruefully - when I heard of it, and honestly the thought never once crossed my mind while out observing to pull my iPhone out of my pocket. You think the Moon is bright? Ain't got nothing on a handheld device. Bruce*****-----Original Message-----From: Skywayinc at aol.comTo: meteorobs at meteorobs.orgSent: 23/08/2011 12:45 PMSubject: RE: Re: (meteorobs) The Moonlit Perseids

    I originally posted this message about TWO WEEKS ago!  Amazing that it is only now
appearing on meteorobs.  Maybe this afternoon's earthquake shook it out of
cyber slumber.

    -- joe r.

     In a message dated 8/23/2011 2:42:01 P.M. Eastern Daylight Time,
Skywayinc at aol.com writes:

     These next
couple of nights will bring us the best views of the annual PERSEID
METEOR SHOWER.

     Unfortunately, the bright, nearly full Moon will also be in the
sky, pretty much squelching views of the fainter streaks.  Still, in the
hour or two before the break of dawn . . . say 3 to 4 a.m. . . it might be worth
checking out the sky to see how active this year's display might be.
Best views will be overhead and toward the northeast
part of the sky. This accompanying video, done in the style of a movie trailer,
is a bit "over the top" to say the least!

     http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XPxvUzsft_k

     -- joe r.

     meteorobs
  mailing