(meteorobs) 1. Meteor observation 2. Odd light and synchronous radio capture

Thomas Ashcraft ashcraft at heliotown.com
Tue Aug 23 18:10:37 EDT 2011

Last night I was recording the sky at VLF-ELF with my McGreevy WR3_E radio and
processed the audio of the time of a nice meteor captured on the all-sky video.  I could not detect
any obvious direct VLF-ELF emission from this particular meteor but went ahead
and posted a movie in any case. It has a nice VHF head echo.
http://www.heliotown.com/FBsvlf20110823_0948ut_Ashcraft.mp4

For me, more interestingly, there was a light and simultaneous "pop"
event on my all-sky camera video some seconds later ( most probably not
connected to the preceding meteor ). I cannot identify what the light(s)
might have been to make this synchronous "pop" ?  Normally I would
attribute this sort of "pop" with an electric system transient but in
this case my VLF-ELF audio was operating independently (on batteries,
and down the hill away from my observatory and power grid). It could be
some sort of coincidental "pop" or lightning sferic but I don't think so. I think
the "pop" was generated by whatever caused the light(s).  This makes me think it might
have been something like a "cosmic ray" event or something.  ??
Movie here:
http://www.heliotown.com/AnomalousVLF_ELF_capture_Ashcraft.mp4

Any information or explanation is welcome.

In the meantime I will file this "light/pop" in the unexplained folder.

Thomas in New Mexico
ashcraft (at ) heliotown.com