(meteorobs) Perseids Cygnids and more

Robert Lunsford lunro.imo.usa at cox.net
Wed Aug 24 19:34:20 EDT 2011

Alex and All,

Thanks for sharing your data. It would help if you supplied a limiting magnitude so that we could determine your observing
conditions. To determine LM I would suggest visiting the IMO web pages at: http://www.imo.net/visual/major/observation/lm

On the 22/23, 10 Perseids in 90 minutes is a little high considering the time of night and the fact it was 10 days after maximum. I
would have expected 5 at the most. 5 Kappa Cygnids seems a bit high too. On the other hand, only 3 sporadics seems a bit low.
Perhaps some of the PER's and KCG's you listed were actually sporadics?

On the 23/24, again 10 Perseids is a bit high. 8 Kappa Cygnids a minor outburst! No sporadics??? Out of your 18 meteors I would have
expected something like 3 Perseids, 1 Kappa Cygnid, and 14 sporadics.

Shower association is not easy for the beginner. You need to know the current location of each radiant and then see if each meteor
lines up with any of the active radiants. On most nights, you will see many more sporadic meteors than shower meteors.

While the Perseids and Kappa Cygnids are now ending, there are other showers soon to take their places so I hope you will again
watch the skies and let us know what you see.

Robert Lunsford