(meteorobs) Perseids Cygnids and more

Alex SV1NZX sw1nzx at gmail.com
Wed Aug 24 22:19:21 EDT 2011

Hello Robert and all

I thank you for your reply - I am calling them as I saw them. They could be
k-Cygnids or not but their radiant was coming from high up in Cygnus and,
bear in mind that I was concentrating more on the ones eminating from Cygnus
itself rather than any other point in the sky. I have been watching the
skies since I was 6 and never stopped :) I do admit to being a beginner when
it comes to efficiently spotting meteors but this list is a good start if
any to learn and expand one's knowledge.

LM, according to the IMO table was/is between 5 and 5.5 (yesterday was
better..) I just went out again with a waning cresent moon to take visual
samples of 2 areas (Perseus and Taurus).

I do apologise for the scruffiness of the report but
I dont have any camera to back it up.

The skies here are very clear and pollution-free as are most islands thus
providing very nice views of the cosmic spectacles :)

Have a good evening all

Best regards,
Alex Daskalakis

On Wednesday, August 24, 2011, Robert Lunsford <lunro.imo.usa at cox.net>
wrote:
> Alex and All,
>
> Thanks for sharing your data. It would help if you supplied a limiting
magnitude so that we could determine your observing
http://www.imo.net/visual/major/observation/lm

> On the 22/23, 10 Perseids in 90 minutes is a little high considering the
time of night and the fact it was 10 days after maximum. I
> would have expected 5 at the most. 5 Kappa Cygnids seems a bit high too.
On the other hand, only 3 sporadics seems a bit low.
> Perhaps some of the PER's and KCG's you listed were actually sporadics?
>
> On the 23/24, again 10 Perseids is a bit high. 8 Kappa Cygnids a minor
outburst! No sporadics??? Out of your 18 meteors I would have
> expected something like 3 Perseids, 1 Kappa Cygnid, and 14 sporadics.
>
> Shower association is not easy for the beginner. You need to know the
current location of each radiant and then see if each meteor
> lines up with any of the active radiants. On most nights, you will see
many more sporadic meteors than shower meteors.

> While the Perseids and Kappa Cygnids are now ending, there are other
showers soon to take their places so I hope you will again
> watch the skies and let us know what you see.
>
> Robert Lunsford

holidays, on Ios island, a few km north of Santorini
> (Cyclades) I'd like to share my observations as seen in 2 nights
>
> 22-23/08: 23:00-00:30 utc
> Perseids. : 10 with mag +1 and lower
> K-Cygnids (?) : 5 all +1 or lower (best mag +1 3s without train)
> SPO.      : 3 (no identifiable radiant)
>
> 24/08: 00:00-01:30 utc (concentrating on Cygnus more..)
> Perseids  : 3 (best mag +2)
> K-Cygnids(?) : 8 (best mag -1 4s no train)
> Highlight of the night was a 5s +2 slowmoving meteor running from right to
left across the top of Ursa Major as it was setting.

> Very clear nights here with a brilliant view of Cygnus right through the
night. No fireballs but, even with the waning moon, an