(meteorobs) Observation August 12/13 2011

Pierre Martin pmartin at teksavvy.com
Sun Aug 28 21:22:41 EDT 2011

Hi all,

Here's my belated report for the peak night of the Perseids.  I
watched from a friend's cottage, north of Ottawa near the small town
of Bouchette.  By early evening, it was apparent that the sky
conditions were going to be poor with the Full Moon accompanying waves
of thick cumulus clouds passing through the region.  Yet I was
determined to give a try.  I watched casually for most of the evening
as the sky was just too overcast to attempt signing on.  At one point
in between clouds, a delightful mag -2 PER was seen heading down
towards the eastern horizon.  A bit later, while setting up my
cameras, a dramatic mag -4 PER fireball shot 30 degrees through the
south, ending with a terminal flash and a 3 sec train.

It took until 12:30am EDT for the sky to finally clear up enough to
attempt a formal sign on.  I was only able to watch for about an hour
before the sky became overcast again.  During that time, the LM was
5.0 and I held my field of view to the north, well away from the
strong glare of the moonlight.  I tried my best to retain some dark
adaptation, but the sky was brightly lit which gave it a rather dull
and grey appearance.  Not a hint of Milky Way could be seen.  Despite
the two bright meteors seen earlier in between clouds, the rates were
disappointing with a total of just 14 PER.  Nothing else, not even a
single sporadic was seen.  It was a far cry from the kind of overall
meteor rates seen in late July and early August, when the sky was much
darker.  I'd agree with Bob Lunsford that this seemed to be a below
average year for the PERs.  On the plus side, it was a pleasant night
to be out.

Pierre Martin
Ottawa, Ontario

DATE: August 12/13 2011
BEGIN: 04:30 UT (00:30 EDT) END: 05:35 UT (01:35 EDT)
OBSERVER: Pierre Martin (MARPI)
LOCATION: Long: -75.92 West; Lat: 46.18 North
Observing site: Bouchette, Quebec, CANADA
RECORDING METHOD: talking clock/tape recorder, cord align

OBSERVED SHOWERS:_______________________________radiant position
PER (Perseids)__________________________________03:18 +58
KCG (Kappa Cygnids)_____________________________19:04 +51
AUD (August Draconids)__________________________18:06 +62
SPO (sporadics)

OBSERVING PERIODS: 0 = none seen; / = shower not observed

PERIOD(UT)___FIELD_____Teff___LM____PER_SPO_KCG_AUD

04:30-05:35__311 +80___0.95___5.00___14__0___0___0

Notes: The first column (Period UT) refers to observing periods, in
Universal Time. The second column (Field) is the area in in the sky
where I centered my field of view. The third column (TEFF) Teff is
simply the total time during the observing session spent actually
watching the sky. Breaks and/or dead time are not included in the
reported Teff. It is reported in decimal format such that a 60 minute
observing session would be reported as Teff = 1.00. The column (LM) is
the average naked eye limiting magnitude seen.  All following columns
indicate the number of meteors for each shower observed.  For more
info, see: http://www.namnmeteors.org/guidechap2.html
------------------------

MAGNITUDE DISTRIBUTIONS:

SHOWER
______-1___0__+1__+2__+3__+4______AVE

PER____2___2___1___3___5___1_____+1.71

Note: Magnitude -8 is comparable to a quarter moon, magnitude -4 with
the planet Venus, magnitude -1 with the brightest star Sirius,
magnitude +2 to +3 with most average naked eye stars and magnitude +6
to +7 are the faintest stars the naked eye can see under typical dark
conditions. A meteor of at least magnitude -3 is considered a fireball
(IMO definition). The above table contains the magnitudes from all
observed meteors, and the average (last column) for showers.

SKY OBSCURED (FOV) (UT):  none

Dead time: 8 min

Breaks (UT): 5:11-19