(meteorobs) Current shower?

Sam Barricklow k5kj at mac.com
Mon Aug 29 07:37:26 EDT 2011

James,

I monitor both the Lake Kickapoo RADAR and channel 2 video carriers
here in the DFW area.  Most of the channel 2 carriers are apparently
originating from Mexico, but signals peak in other directions too.
Bottom line is that many more echoes are heard on channel 2 than when
monitoring the Lake Kickapoo RADAR.  Channel 2 video carrier
frequencies in MHz are:

55.239
55.249
55.259

The ICOM PCR-1000 receiver is set to USB.  Two antennas are used, one
is a 2 element wire yagi pointed at the zenith, and the second is a
rotatable 3 element horizontally polarized yagi at 19 meters AGL.
Apparently, several transmitters are still on the air, with the
strongest located in either southwest Texas or in Mexico near the
Texas / Mexico border.

Using the 3 element rotatable yagi-uda antenna, meteor scatter
signals originating from analog TV stations to the northwest,
northeast and the southeast, although weaker, can also be received.
Apparently, the migration from analog to digital transmission has not
been completed.

As you probably know, Ionized meteor trails reflect the channel 2 VHF
signals much more efficiently than the 216 MHz Lake Kickapoo
frequency, so many more echoes may be heard on the lower frequency.

The channel 2 FM audio frequency can also be monitored on 59.750 MHz

The issue for you may be that an analog TV transmitter may not be
close enough to illuminate ionized meteor trails that pass above your
location, which wouldn't allow simultaneous meteor scatter audio and
all-sky video.

Sam Barricklow