(meteorobs) Long path meteor -spiraling- *Magnified*

Chris Peterson clp at alumni.caltech.edu
Mon Dec 5 15:48:13 EST 2011

Meteoroids do tumble, although they usually stabilize quickly. But it is
difficult to imagine what would be required to get spiraling. Obviously,
the meteoroid can't be spiraling in space. So you need to assume it has
some peculiar shape that results in aerodynamic effects that lead to
spiraling, which seems unlikely. Then, you need to assume it will
maintain that odd shape, even as it is rapidly ablating away. Even more
unlikely. Finally, you need to consider that in order to be seen
spiraling with typical cameras and lenses (as opposed to telescopes),
the physical diameter of the spiral needs to be somewhere between tens
and hundreds of meters. Given a typical period of a second or less, the
forces involved are huge- beyond the material strength of most meteoroids.

Given all that, it seems unlikely that spiraling meteoroids exist, or if
they do, they are extremely rare. (I'm not talking about very tight
spirals- mm or cm, as you might get from a combination of aerodynamics
and rotation- although even those must be uncommon, and only spiral
along a brief section of their path before they stabilize.)

Chris

Chris L Peterson
Cloudbait Observatory
http://www.cloudbait.com