(meteorobs) Long path meteor -spiraling- *Magnified*

Jim Wooddell nf114ec at npgcable.com
Mon Dec 5 16:32:35 EST 2011

Hi all!

There seems to be three basic shapes to meteorites that suggest what their
flight characteristics were within our atmosphere prior to them smacking the
ground.
1.  Spherical - where random tumbling occurred.
2.  Cone - where the rotation axis was along the direction of motion.
3.  Shield - where the flight was stable, no tumbling, no rotation.

I have recovered meteorites of all three shapes and without counting I would
say my finds indicate mostly meteorites that were shields, then spherical,
then cone, in order of quantity recovered.

Based on this, I do think it is reasonable to think that meteoroids can and
do tumble.  Is there some reference somewhere that suggests they don't?

Happy Holidays!

Jim

Jim Wooddell
https://k7wfr.us