(meteorobs) Long path meteor -spiraling- *Magnified*

Chris Peterson clp at alumni.caltech.edu
Mon Dec 5 16:44:32 EST 2011

I don't think anybody is suggesting that they don't tumble (that is,
rotate around more than one axis). They can do this in space, and they
can do it in the atmosphere.

Spiraling is very different- that suggests a helical trajectory. I don't
think this happens, unless it is on a very tiny scale (for example, the
helix diameter is on the order of the size of the meteoroid).

I don't think you can conclude much of anything about the shape of a
meteoroid during most of its flight from the shapes of recovered meteorites.

Chris

Chris L Peterson
Cloudbait Observatory
http://www.cloudbait.com