(meteorobs) Long path meteor -spiraling- *Magnified*

gmlobdell at seanet.com gmlobdell at seanet.com
Mon Dec 5 17:32:11 EST 2011

Chris, Thomas, et al.,

I believe spiral meteors do exist, though they are extremely rare.  I
believe because I've seen one.  The meteor in question was a Perseid, very
close to the radiant.  This was a number of years ago, but it was during
the annual Table Mountain Star Party in Washington State, and within a day
or so of the peak time.  A group of astronomers were standing around
talking, generally facing the radiant.  This meteor was seen by multiple
people, who all commented on the odd path.  To me the path was a very
small arc, approximately 270 degrees, and about 1/4 of an angular degree
in diameter (half the size of the moon).

Looking at Thomas' video, I agree that this case is a video artifact.  I
believe that to capture a spiral meteor would require a high definition
camera pointed at the radiant.  Then any spiral motion would be
unmistakable.

I am certainly willing to entertain any explanation for what I saw,
including naked eye optical artifacts, atmospheric refraction, or wind
shear to name a few.

Gregg Lobdell