(meteorobs) Long path meteor -spiraling- *Magnified*

GeoZay at aol.com GeoZay at aol.com
Mon Dec 5 19:04:49 EST 2011

About how close to the radiant and how long was the path length?
GeoZay

In a message dated 12/5/2011 2:32:29 P.M. Pacific Standard Time,
gmlobdell at seanet.com writes:

I  believe spiral meteors do exist, though they are extremely rare.   I
believe because I've seen one.  The meteor in question was a  Perseid, very
close to the radiant.  This was a number of years ago,  but it was during
the annual Table Mountain Star Party in Washington State,  and within a day
or so of the peak time.  A group of astronomers were  standing around
talking, generally facing the radiant.  This meteor  was seen by multiple
people, who all commented on the odd path.  To me  the path was a very
small arc, approximately 270 degrees, and about 1/4 of  an angular degree
in diameter (half the size of the  moon).