(meteorobs) Long path meteor -spiraling- *Magnified*

Chris Peterson clp at alumni.caltech.edu
Tue Dec 6 10:29:48 EST 2011

A meteorite usually assumes its final shape in the last fraction of a
second of ablation. The final volume of the meteorite or meteorites
represents typically just a few percent of the volume of the parent
meteoroid. When you consider the complexities of ablation (as hinted at
by the light curve of a meteor, lasting a second or longer), and the
fact that most meteorites occur after some sort of breakup, I do think
it is fair to say that meteorites provide very little information about
the flight characteristics of the parent itself.

That's not to say you can't infer anything, or that there aren't special
cases (such as some irons). But I think it's a pretty safe generalization.

Chris

Chris L Peterson
Cloudbait Observatory
http://www.cloudbait.com