(meteorobs) Meteor Obs. 2/13/11 - Mathias, WVa

George Gliba gliba at milkyway.gsfc.nasa.gov
Mon Feb 14 10:30:44 EST 2011

         Screech Owl Hill Observatory, Mountain Meadows
            Mathias, West Virginia 385710N 0785544W
                     February 12/13, 2011

On the night of February 12/13, I was able to see some fair
activity from the Beta Herculids minor meteor shower after the
moon set. This weak minor meteor shower was recently discovered
using IMO video data, by Sirko Molau and Juergen Rendtel. So,
it is visible visually during its peak night at least. However,
due to clouds, I was unable to get more data that night. I did
manage to get a good hour of clear skies though.

Earlier, I casually saw a couple Antihelions and Sporadics while
looking for SN 2011B, which I saw with a C8 SCT at 150x when it
was about 13.5 magnitude, before moonset. It was windy and cold,
with a nasty windchill, that was a few degrees below zero F.

    Date    Time (UT)  LM  Obst. ANT BHE SPO  Total  Commments
02/13/11  8:45-9:45  6.4   0%    2   3   7     12   some haze

Magnitude Distributions
      0   1   2   3   4   5  6  total  Ave.
ANT  0   0   0   1   0   1  0    2    4.0
BHE  0   1   0   0   1   1  0    3    3.3
SPO  0   2   2   0   1   1  1    7    3.0

Starry Skies,
GWG