(meteorobs) Green Fireballs

Norman W McLeod III nmcleod at coconet.com
Tue Feb 15 06:33:00 EST 2011

I have been through the busy first peak of tax season during the last
two weeks, with longer office hours combined with a mild cold that keep
me sleeping extra hours.  So a reply about green fireballs had to wait.
This topic has come up several times before, sometimes started by
someone who lucks into seeing two green fireballs within a short time.

Most sporadic fireballs I have seen brighter than -5m are a rich emerald
green color.  But shower fireballs are rarely the same, more like
blue-green or some other color.  The only shower with several green
meteors in one night regularly is the Geminids.  No other shower has
ever produced noticeable extra green meteors for an isolated night.
Neither the 1980 nor the 1981 Perseids were unusual in that regard.

For colors in general, I tallied up colors on everything from 1971 to
1981 some time ago.  There had been notions of blue Quadrantids, orange
Taurids, and other yellow showers.  But my results showed no variation
among the showers.  My dominant color is yellow for about 60% of all my
meteors, with about 20% each for blue and orange.  Then a handful are
other colors.  The most common binary color is blue-green.  In my
earlier years I saw some blue-pink Perseids, but they changed to
blue-purple as I got older.

One color I never see is pure red.  The best I can do is red-orange in a
ratio of two to one.  More commonly it is orange-red in the same ratio.
But twice I saw a meteor release a shower of orange sparks in its wake,
with a single red spark.

A color-intensity scheme I developed is as follows : 1-subtle (most star
colors), 2-moderate (the strongest star colors), and 3-intense (like
airplane lights).  My general color intensity perception is about 20%
subtle, 40% moderate, and 40% intense.  Evidently my color perception is
very good, as opposed to general meteor rates where I am just average.
No matter how poorly I see a meteor, I still get its color.  That
includes the ground lighting up from a fireball that I miss, or a light
dome from a fireball low in the sky with my view of the object blocked.
The most memorable example of the latter came in 1974 July: a bright
green dome appeared in my south, coming on gradually for a second,
staying steady for two seconds, then fading out for the final second.
Obstructions kept me from seeing the meteor, a big disappointment.

A pure white meteor is very rare for me.  Many people describe meteors
as white, even very bright ones.  I have the impression that about half
the population perceives no color at all in either meteors or stars, or,
at best, just an occasional subtle color.

Another breakdown is color versus magnitude.  Obviously, a meteor needs
to be bright enough for the eye to get a color.  My color perception by
magnitude: all meteors +1m and brighter, about half at +2m, about a
tenth at +3m, a handful at +4m and always deep orange, then rarely an
orange +5m.

The subject of color has always interested me because I see it so well.
I have wanted to see some similar detailed workups for other observers
but all these years no one has gotten around to doing it.  Probably no
two observers will be the same.  Two co-observers from the past, Felix
Martinez and Lew Gramer (the holy GRALE), I am aware have green as one
of their dominant colors.

Norman